Saturday, January 15, 2011

Black Swan

Today I went to see the movie "Black Swan" and was blown away by it's story. By the end of the show I felt overwhelmed into a state of shock from all the different emotions that movie force me to go through. It was a great movie... but I can tell that I will not be able to watch it again anytime soon.
I would suggest if one is willing to see something so... intense, that they do so while it is still in the theater.

Later I started thinking. The character throughout the movie was actually taking on the archetypes of both the Swan Queen and her evil twin.
She had so many other problems going on around her, both mentally and physically, that she forced herself to the breaking point in order to keep her lead role and make her performance "perfect". In doing so, the main character shattered what little sanity she had and started to lose her true self, the Swan Queen, to her evil and insane twin sister.

I can not do the film any justice in trying to describe how dark it felt and how close the morbidly real fairy tales can connect and predict the lives of some people. Of course I've always known this, but just seeing "Black Swan" reminded me of that sort of connection fairy tales have with the psyche of humans.

Sorry if this fails to make any sense to you my reader. As I briefly mentioned, it was an experience that kinda shook me up a bit and words are kind of failing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment