When I first made a monkey fist knot, I thought that it was a good representation of a heart. (I also had help realizing this from a classmate in sculpture) So I might take this in the direction of being an abstract heart.
I'm still puzzeling through some of the aspects of this project, like what would be a good center to the heart. It needs to be something precious and worthy of being a core of this heart.
I was looking at the historic, religious and mythic background of blood recorded in Wikipedia. I will do more research the significance of blood.
I might think of a mixture of these two background ideas...
->European Paganism = Among the Germanic tribes (such as the Anglo-Saxons and the Norsemen), blood was used during their sacrifices; the Blóts. The blood was considered to have the power of its originator, and, after the butchering, the blood was sprinkled on the walls, on the statues of the gods, and on the participants themselves. This act of sprinkling blood was called bleodsian in Old English, and the terminology was borrowed by the Roman Catholic Church becoming to bless and blessing. The Hittite word for blood, ishar was a cognate to words for "oath" and "bond", see Ishara. The Ancient Greeks believed that the blood of the gods, ichor, was a mineral that was poisonous to mortals.
As a relic of Germanic Law the cruentation, an ordeal where the corpse of the victim was supposed to start bleeding in the presence of the murderer was used until the early 17th. century.
-> Chinese & Japanese Culture = In Chinese popular culture, it is often said that, if a man's nose produces a small flow of blood, this signifies that he is experiencing sexual desire. This often appears in Chinese-language and Hong Kong films as well as in Japanese culture parodied in anime and manga. Characters, mostly males, will often be shown with a nosebleed if they have just seen someone nude or in little clothing, or if they have had an erotic thought or fantasy; this is based on the idea that a male's blood pressure will spike dramatically when aroused.
No comments:
Post a Comment